When a whole bunch of people get together, it's inevitable that someone gets sick. I always prepare mentally with the anticipation of this.
Sawyer was the first to get sick and then a few of days later Crew fell ill. I didn't realize that Sawyer was trying to fight off a double ear infection as well (I thought he was teething) and that was the onset of his misery. On Saturday he had a fever and to make sure I didn't have to go to the hospital for something on Sunday I took him into the doctors. I normally don't take my kids in for things like this, but he seemed to be going down hill. That's when I found out about his ears and the Dr suggested he might have RSV with the order his symptoms came but never tested. I now know the fever was a prelude to sickness number 2.
Sunday morning he woke up with a rash on his legs with the worst of it being on his upper thighs. I started doing a lot of research on rashes and nothing was matching up. Finally I looked up "hand foot and mouth on the legs" and images popped up that matched closer than anything else. But it wasn't on his palms, or soles of his feet. There were 2 or 3 small spots around his mouth and there is no way he would let me look in his mouth. I then found this article and it made me more certain that he had a new strain of hand foot and mouth. But, I never went to the doctors because we had just gone and I didn't feel he was going to get any more medical help that he couldn't get at home. He was never officially diagnose but I quarantined my family from anyone else anyway. Monday Crew was fine all day, he worked out with me, ate well, played hard, and overall enjoyed himself. I put on a show for him to watch while I made dinner and Sawyer was napping. When the show was over Crew started rolling around on the floor and whining. I thought it was because he had almost fallen asleep, his show was over, and that he probably needed to go to the restroom. I went over to ask him and rubbed his back. He was hot! His temperature was at 103! I put another show on, gave him some ice water, and he fell asleep. I resisted the urge to give him tylenol and he woke up .5 degrees cooler. After dinner we had a very early bedtime for both boys.
When Crew woke up on Tuesday his temperature had broken and he let me take a look in his mouth. He had several spots on the roof of his mouth and a few on his knees and calves. But he was much happier and played all day in his pajamas.
Crew let me take a picture of his mouth but then wouldn't let me take a picture of his legs. The rash on the first day never really looks all that bad; red spots that are appear to be raised but are mostly flat when touched.
Sawyer was much happier too. He got a better nights sleep and lit up when I pulled my camera out to document his rash. He was loving the attention and gave me a great show!
| This was my first picture of Sawyer. Once he realized the attention was on him he went into action. |
| Not a single rash on his torso. It was all on his arms below the elbows and on his legs. |
| Only three on his face |
| The beginning of scabbing over. The rash initially appeared like it might head out or get a blister but the next day it had sloughed off the middle and scabbed. |
Thursday Update:
Sawyer: Day 6
Crew: Day 4
Quarantined and getting a little bored.
![]() |
| Crew wrist with newer rash |
![]() |
| Crew's knee with older rash and a little lint |
![]() |
| The worst spot for him. I believe it's because this is where he has the most sensitive and prone to dryness skin. |
![]() |
| Sawyer's scabs are almost gone |
![]() |
| New rash on Crew's ankles
I will be majorly sanitizing and deep cleaning when this all passes! We look forward to getting out of the house again.
|
Sunday Update:
The kids both have rash still. Sawyer's is nearly gone and Crew still has some large scabs that need to heal up. We are ready to go out and have fun but we are waiting so we don't pass it to anyway.








2 comments:
how nice of you to be careful and considerate and not take your boys anywhere while they're not feeling well. I wish more people were like you!
Oh no! I have heard rumors about the new strain but we have only had the old strain this summer (which was horrible not to mention sanitizing is super fun). It looks pretty miserable and I hear you about going stir crazy. Hope you can get out and about sooner than later.
Post a Comment