Friday, September 11, 2015

Reno Balloon Races

I have always wanted to go to the balloon races and every year I miss them. Not this year! As soon as I stumbled upon the date, I put it in my calendar. I was surprised that I easily convinced Abe that it would be a good idea to wake up at 3:30 am and go to Reno to see it. Sadly, we were running slightly behind and then we had traffic and we missed the glow show. We saw from the road the last little bit of it and it was awesome. Maybe next year we will catch it!

Crew and I walked around and collected balloon cards for awhile and then I went and got Sawyer to take him around. Sawyer was much more into the card collecting and we saw way more balloons because of this. Around this time I called up Abe and told him to meet us a little further up the hill for a better view. The first two balloons were nearly ready for launch and the flag ceremony. 

It was just as magical as I had imagined! So many balloons floating around in the calm sky. The colors were gorgeous and the sight was beautiful. The kids loved it and every few seconds one of us would be excitedly pointing out our favorite balloon, again, or discovering a new one that we had missed.  Once all the balloons were in the sky we all piled onto the blanket to gaze up at the sky. 

The boys could have gone in a tethered balloon ride, but there was no convincing. I wished I could pass as a small child so I could have gone! After it began to warm up we packed up our gear and walked back to the car. Along the way we spotted several balloons that were stuck against the mountain and were having a rough time with the warming air. It's all an interesting balance!

Doughboy's was our next stop and we picked out some delicious doughnuts for our second breakfast. 



photo by Crew

















Crew really liked the two Green balloons: Booger and Wasabi 

















picture by Crew

























No comments: